Volunteer at the Expo
Due to the size and diversity of the Black Hills Horse Expo, we rely upon a large number of volunteers to ensure the event is fun and safe for everyone. Volunteering at the Expo is a lot of fun because you are involved in the behind-the-scenes production, you work with a lot of fellow horse enthusiasts, and you’re part of a team effort!
We Have a Position for You
The jobs that need to be covered include Admission/Ticket Sales, Expo Store, Expo Office, Barn Office, Set up and take down, coordinating Stallion Showcase and Breed Avenue, handing out programs, etc. Experience with horses is not a prerequisite.
Our Sincere Appreciation
The bottom line is. . . we couldn't do this event without volunteer help. First and foremost, we want every volunteer to know how much you are valued. But, we also want to show our appreciation by granting free admission and a free expo souvenir to each volunteer that can work a four hour shift at least one day.
What Next . . .
If you are serious about volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Application when it is available for 2018. You will have the chance to let us know your first choice for jobs, but please understand that we have to fill a variety of positions and you might not get your first choice. But you will be part of a fun team!
- Do I have to know a lot about horses to volunteer? No, we have several positions (like ticket sales, Expo store, etc) where you can work without being horse savvy.
- Do I have to work all day? The shifts are scheduled to be approximately 4 hours long. You can indicate what time you would prefer to work, and we will do our best to accommodate your preference.
- My friend and I want to work together - is that possible? Again, let us know your preference and we will do our best to accommodate your wishes. We want this to be fun and rewarding for everyone!
- How soon do you need my application? We would like to have as many applications as possible by mid summer, so that we have an idea in advance what to expect for number, ages and experience level of volunteers. We also realize that things change, so if you turn in your application now and later realize that you won't be able to volunteer, just drop us a line. We understand. We will accept applications up to October 1.
- When will I know what my assigned position is? We will announce assignments and more details the first week in October. It is important that we have your current email address.