Volunteer at the Expo
Due to the size and diversity of the Black Hills Horse Expo, we rely upon a large number of volunteers to ensure the event is fun and safe for everyone. Volunteering at the Expo is a lot of fun because you are involved in the behind-the-scenes production, you work with fellow horse enthusiasts, and you’re part of a team effort!
We Have a Position for You
The jobs that need to be covered include Admission/Ticket Sales, Expo Store, Expo Office, Barn Office, Set up and take down, coordinating Stallion Showcase and Breed Avenue, handing out programs, etc. Experience with horses is not a prerequisite.
Our Sincere Appreciation
The bottom line is. . . we couldn't do this event without volunteer help. First and foremost, we want every volunteer to know how much you are valued. But, we also want to show our appreciation by granting free admission and a free expo souvenir to each volunteer that can work a four hour shift at least one day.
What Next . . .
If you are serious about volunteering, please click on one of the buttons at the top or bottom of this page. You will be able to view the positions available and sign up. The site is user friendly and will allow you to go back and make changes if you need to.
- Do I have to know a lot about horses to volunteer? No, we have several positions (like ticket sales, Expo Office, etc) where you can work without being horse savvy.
- Do I have to work all day? The shifts are scheduled to be approximately 4 hours long. You can indicate what time you would prefer to work, and we will do our best to accommodate your preference.
- My friend and I want to work together - is that possible? Again, let us know your preference and we will do our best to accommodate your wishes. We want this to be fun and rewarding for everyone!
- How soon do you need me to sign up? We would like to have as many positions filled as possible by mid summer, so that we have an idea in advance what to expect for number, ages and experience level of volunteers. We also realize that things change, so if you sign up now and later realize that you won't be able to volunteer, you are able to log into the Volunteer Signup site and cancel your chosen shift. We understand. We will accept online signups up to October 1.
- When will I know what my assigned position is? The website has the positions and shifts listed separately, so you can sign up for the position and time frame that choose. Of course, it is first come-first serve so the sooner you sign up the more positions you will have to choose from. We will send you at least one email prior to the Expo to confirm your shift and let you know where to report, etc.
- How do I sign up? It is easy! Just click on the button below and it will take you to a user-friendly site where you can view the positions available and decide what you would be best suited for. You can also go back to this site to make changes if you change your mind.