Volunteer at the Expo
Due to the size and diversity of the Black Hills Horse Expo, we rely upon a large number of volunteers to ensure the event is fun and safe for everyone. Volunteering at the Expo is a lot of fun because you are involved in the behind-the-scenes production, you work with fellow horse enthusiasts, and you’re part of a team effort!
We Have a Position for You
The jobs that need to be covered include Admission/Ticket Sales, Expo Office, Barn Office, Set up and take down, coordinating Stallion Showcase and Breed Avenue, handing out programs, etc. Experience with horses is not a prerequisite.
Our Sincere Appreciation
The bottom line is. . . we couldn't do this event without volunteer help. First and foremost, we want every volunteer to know how much you are valued. But, we also want to show our appreciation by granting free daily admission for Saturday and Sunday to everyone who works a 4 hour shift. For those that schedule to work at least two shifts, we will add free admission to the Sunday matinee of Gladius. Those that schedule to work three shifts from Fri-Sun will also receive admission to the Ranch Rodeo. We want you to enjoy the Full Expo Experience!
What Next . . .
If you are serious about volunteering, please click on one of the buttons at the top or bottom of this page. You will be able to view the positions available and sign up. The site is user friendly and will allow you to go back and make changes if you need to. If you have any problems getting signed up, please don't get discouraged. Send an email to the Volunteer Coordinator, Kim Julius, and she will help you get signed up. Volunteers@blackhillshorseexpo.com
- Do I have to know a lot about horses to volunteer? No, we have several positions (like ticket sales, Expo Office, etc) where you can work without being horse savvy.
- Do I have to work all day? The shifts are scheduled to be approximately 4 hours long. You can sign up for the position and shift that suits you.
- My friend and I want to work at the same time - is that possible? Sure! As long as there are two positions open that shift, you and your friend can sign up for the same shift.
- How soon do you need me to sign up? It is very helpful if you sign up right away so we can plan for any shortfalls. We need to have all of the positions filled by the end of September.
- When will I know what my assigned position is? The website has the positions and shifts listed separately, so you can sign up for the position and time frame that you choose. Of course, it is first come-first serve so the sooner you sign up the more positions you will have to choose from. We will send you at least one email prior to the Expo to confirm your shift and let you know where to report, etc.
- How do I sign up? It is easy! Just click on the button below and it will take you to a user-friendly site where you can view the positions available and decide what you would be best suited for. You can also go back to this site to make changes if needed.